Bioidentical Hormone Therapy
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy (BHRT) includes the use of naturally derived hormones to balance and support hormonal systems in the body. BHRT is always individualized to the patient’s unique set of symptoms and dosing is based on laboratory investigations. Commonly prescribed hormones include progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, pregnenolone and natural dessicated thyroid hormone. These are either given orally or through a compounded cream, which is applied to the skin for optimal absorption.
A patient may have several symptoms to indicate the need for hormone therapy, such as:
- Menopausal symptoms: hot flashes, insomnia, vaginal dryness, mood mood swings, fatigue
- Pre-menstrual symptoms: abdominal cramping, breast tenderness, mood swings, fatigue, acne
- Menstrual irregularities: heavy periods, irregular periods, abdominal cramps
- Men’s health concerns: inability to lose fat or gain muscle, erectile dysfunction, low libido
- Underactive thyroid function: fatigue, weight gain/inability to lose weight, constipation, hair loss, dry skin, cold intolerance, thinning hair
- Adrenal insufficiency: high stress, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, abdominal weight gain
- Known hormonal imbalances
Bioidentical Hormones are biologically identical to our body’s own hormones, therefore allowing for them to be well recognized and accepted by hormone receptors in the body. Comparatively, conventionally prescribed hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a synthetic form meant to mimic our body’s own hormones, but are not biologically identical. Conventional HRT therapies are used to treat a myriad of hormonal dysfunctions in menopause, such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, sleep disturbances, mood swings, and to protect against menopause-related risk of cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis. The synthetic HRT forms come with some disadvantages, including an increased risk of developing breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, blood clots and strokes. Bioidentical Hormone Therapy is a safe and effective alternative to HRT for those patients looking for an alternative option that is well researched and supported by clinical success.
Book with our Naturopathic Doctors, Dr. Elaine Lewis, Dr. Amber Moore, or our Functional Medicine Doctor, Dr. Andrew Kiellerman to find out whether you would benefit from Bioidentical Hormone Therapy!